N.C. A&T Online Teaching and Course Development Certification Program
By studying best practices in online teaching, and using the Quality Matters Online Course Development Standards, the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University Online Faculty Certification program is designed to introduce faculty to teaching online, and to provide instruction on how to customize a template in which to develop their online course. Participants will study and apply each step of the design, planning, development and course production process, and upon completion, will have designed an online course in their own discipline.
- Demonstrate relevant pedagogy and effective design of an online course.
- Use the Quality Matters Rubric to evaluate an existing face-to-face or online course.
- Apply Quality Matters standards to the design and development of an online course.
- Practice through the complete design of an online or hybrid course using Blackboard and related technologies to connect student-learning objectives to course activities and assessments.
- Analyze and discuss faculty and student expectations, support, essentials for success, and effective course design with colleagues.
- Describe and apply best practices teaching students online as evidenced by successful completion of online course design.
- Evaluate and apply QM standards to colleagues’ courses and provide effective feedback and suggestions.
- Two years’ teaching experience highly recommended. (Inexperienced instructors may need to supplement with ITSDE training courses or other preparatory activities.)
- Must be able to use Blackboard effectively. Participants will identify and address any Blackboard training gaps. (Only brief general Blackboard instructions will be provided in this course. ITSDE offers multiple sessions of Blackboard training.)
- Must be able to effectively use Microsoft Office, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Must have access to a recent computer (< 2 years) with Internet access both inside and outside the N.C. A&T campus.
- Must be prepared to develop an active, approved online course to be offered in the subsequent semester or academic year.
How to Achieve NCAT Online Faculty Certification
Requires completion of both Online Teaching and Online Course Development Units:
- ONLINE TEACHING COURSE (OL - 700) – certificate requires participants to complete and submit all activities in sequence in the course and earn at least a 90% average.
- ONLINE COURSE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS – certificate requires participants to create, submit, and post all activities and assignments in their Blackboard course and meet 90% of the Quality Matters Rubric Standards.
- Each Module meets requirements of one or more Quality Matters Higher Education rubric standards for online and blended courses.
To inquire about NCAT Online Faculty Certification, contact Gwen Godard (firstname.lastname@example.org or (336) 285-3810).